This year’s cooking competition continues embrace Scout Law number 4:
“ a scout belongs to the world-wide family of scouts”,
with a focus this year on Asia.
We are looking for ideas and cooking which represent Asia and which are both delicious and sustainable. Everyone of us has a responsibility to act more sustainably for the sake of the planet and choosing what we eat is a great way to start.
Briefing Document : King Alfred District Cooking Competition 2020
When: Sat 14th March 2020 between 8:30 am – 13:00. Teams may arrive from 8.30am and will have 15 minutes to set up
Who: Each scout group in the district is invited to enter one team. 4th King Alfred’s will be hosting the competition at District HQ.
Team Size: 4 scouts per team
- Each team is to prepare a 3 course meal of starter, main and dessert.
- Teams should decide on a menu which represents the theme of Asia
- Teams should prepare a menu which is as sustainable as possible – think about use of meat, seasonable vegetables, where the food has come from etc.
- The teams make 4 plates of each course (one for each team member) and a smaller portion for the judges.
- The judges will view each table for presentation of each course.
- Each team presents their smaller portion to the top table at the same time, so that the judges can taste and assess, whilst the teams eat that course at their own table.
- We are not restricting the choice of ingredients this year. Instead each group will be allowed to spend a maximum of £5 per head on the meal.
- Safety is paramount – all competitors must be present and listen carefully to the safety announcements at 8.45. Take care with gas, cooking pots, knives etc. No running at all in the hall.