King Alfred Scout District is located in the County of Oxfordshire, and broadly covering the Vale of White Horse area. Bounded to the north by the River Thames and to the south by the ancient Ridgeway, it is an area of outstanding natural beauty and historical interest – in fact, quite a nice place to live!
We are an active and thriving rural Scouting District comprising seven Scout Groups, four Explorer Scout Units and with our own Headquarters in the historic market town of Wantage. The District Headquarters (DHQ) is located in Springfield Road, Wantage, OX12 8ES.
King Alfred’s statue in the town square commemorates his association with the area – he ruled from 871 to 899 ….. so it isn’t only Scouts who occasionally burn cakes!
Our scout programmes cover different age ranges. Our activities are also geared towards the appropriate age groups, so nothing will ever be too much or too boring!
- Beaver Scouts: This group is for our youngest members and is aimed at children 6-8 year’s old.
- Cub Scouts: This group is aimed at children aged 8-10 year’s old.
- Scouts: This group is aimed at children aged 10-14 year’s old.
- Explorer Scouts: This group is aimed at teenagers aged 14-18 year’s old.
- Scout Network: This group is aimed at adults aged 18-25 year’s old.